Wednesday, October 3, 2007

You Can Still Sell Anything By Telephone!

Butcher, baker, or software maker, we’re well into the new millennium and I’m here to tell you that you can STILL sell anything by telephone.

This seemed like a preposterous boast on my part when I titled my best-selling book, You Can Sell Anything By Telephone!

But after twenty-plus years, nobody has stepped-up to disprove my assertion.

You can do it, if you have a clear voice and can follow directions.

Sadly, these two simple requirements eliminate about 90% of the human population from succeeding.

Those hundreds of thousands of phone folks in India and other countries, despite accent reduction classes they may have taken, still find it hard to come across to us as Americans.

So, check them off the list for failing in the voice department.

But let’s say your voice is clear, intelligible, and appealing to the listener.

Will you succeed?

Not if you can’t follow directions. Let me give you an example.

I have developed predictable and reliable ways to conquer voice mail and secretarial call screening. I promise you’ll get through to your intended business targets at least twice as often as you would by using seat-of-the-pants techniques of your own, or those dispensed by the latest cold calling pro to emerge from the underbrush.

I can put my scripts in front of very capable folks but some simply won’t use them, despite the proven fact they’re twice as effective as alternatives.

I’ve analyzed this hesitancy 100 different ways, but behaviorally, it boils down to the unwillingness to follow directions.

You can still sell anything by telephone if you have a clear voice and are willing to follow directions.

But can YOU meet these simple requirements?

No comments: